• Nancy Dadisman
  • View Portfolio
  •  
  • Image 301 of 500
  • Added 06 Jan 2010
  • 355 Views
  • 3 Comments
  •  
  • Share This Image On...
Previous 301 of 500 Next
Austrian Parliament

The Athena Fountain (Pallas-Athene-Brunnen) in front of the Parliament was erected between 1893 and 1902 by Carl Kundmann, Josef Tautenhayn, and Hugo Haerdlt, based on the plans by Baron von Hansen. In the middle is a water-basin and a richly decorated base. The four lying figures at the foot of Athena are allegorical representations of the four most important rivers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They represent at the front the Danube and Inn, in the back part the Elbe and Vltava (German: Moldau) rivers. On the sides are little cupids riding dolphins. The statues of the Danube, Inn, and the cupids were executed by Haerdtl, those of the Elbe and Moldau by Kundmann. The female statues above represent the legislative and executive powers of the state, executed by Tautenhayn. They are again dominated by the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena standing on a pillar. Athena is dressed in armor with a gilded helmet, her left hand carries a spear, her right carries Nike.

3 Comments

Anonymous Guest

Brenda Loveless 07 Jan 2010

well done; great photographic and text details

Peter Rivron 07 Jan 2010

Wonderful capture Nancy.

Sharon Gonzalez 07 Jan 2010

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE WORK, NANCY AND AWESOME SHOTS. ALSO LOVE THE INFO.